Parenthood can both be a joyful and overwhelming experience. We know what I’m talking about. You need to prepare meticulously beforehand to ensure your bundle of joy is as least disruptive as possible, which is why parents preparing for a new baby purchase a baby monitor.
What is baby monitor?
A baby monitor is a device used by parents to watch or listen to their baby while the little angel is sleeping or playing in a different room. It is, at the basic level, made of a transmitter and a receiver. The transmitter is kept near the baby while the parent keeps the receiver unit close at hand. The best baby monitor models come with a base station transmitter, a camera, and a microphone for the nursery or baby unit and a parent unit with a small portable speaker.
The gadget helps you to watch and listen to your baby any time he or she wakes up and cries. The baby monitor ensures that you are in touch with your baby constantly wherever you are inside the house. It gives you freedom from having to keep constant vigil at the baby’s cot-side. Best of all, the baby monitor provides additional safety to your child and peace of mind to the parent.
Importance of having a baby monitor
Baby monitors are quite useful because they make you feel comfortable when you leave the baby alone for a short while. You cannot have the baby with you at all times especially when cooking, cleaning, or simply taking bath. With a baby monitor in place, you will hear your baby any time he or she cries for attention. The latest models even feature video cameras that show you exactly what is happening around the baby at all times. You’ll know when the baby begins to fuss around. You’ll then stop whatever you are doing and rush to attend to the baby’s needs. The gadget also gives you peace of mind when engaged in other house chores as you can easily monitor your baby at all times.
Recommended baby monitors
With all the numerous types and models of baby monitors on the market today, it can be difficult to know which model best suits your needs and budget. Here are a few of our top baby monitor choices based on our personal experience, features, prices, and functions.
Renowned as the only baby monitor so far with interchangeable lens, the Infant Optics DXR-8 has a 700-foot sight range. The range, however, decreases between floors and walls. It is a top model from Infant Optics, a company well known for making the best baby monitors. What makes it more attractive is the fact that you can set it according to your specific monitoring needs. For instance, if you are worried about the baby’s sleeping habits you can easily adjust the monitor’s optical zoom lens for a close-up view. Some of its key features include:
- A 5-inch color LCD screen that has night vision capability
- A temperature indicator
- A sound-activated remote controlled display unit
- A rechargeable battery that lasts long
- A twin USB charger that comes with an extra power cord
- It provides clear and reliable communication using 4GHz FHSS Communication for Talk Back and Data Encryption technology.
- You can link it to up to 4 cameras from one display unit.
Pros and cons of the Infant Optics DXR-8 Video Baby Monitor
- Helps you keep tabs of your baby without having to stay by his or her bedside at all times
- It is easy to use
- Comes with a large display screen
- Its rechargeable battery lasts long
- Its multiple lens option allows you to personalize the way you want to monitor your child.
- The optical zoom is sold separately
- The sound is sometimes not very audible from a long distance
- It is not a Wi-Fi baby monitor
Considering its interchangeable lens large screen, video functionality, and the remote pan or tilt feature, the Infant Optics DXR-8 is without doubt one of the best baby monitors on the market today. It has a simple design and delivers clear, crisp images and good audio quality. It’s also available at a good price.
Price: check here
The Philips Avent Dect is a reliable baby monitor with a long range of up to 330 meters. It comes with night mode features and a temperature sensor that ensures your baby is kept comfortable at all times. As a leading electronics brand in the world, Philips guarantees 100% private connection and zero interference in this baby monitor. These two features are critical for your baby’s security. The Philips Avent Dect is an audio monitor that delivers the most crystal clear sounds you can ever find in a baby monitoring gadget. Rather than watch your baby sleep from a tiny video screen, the Avent Dect ensures that you can hear your baby quite audibly. It is ideal for babies aged a day up to six months. Some of its key features include:
- Secure private connection and zero interference using the DEC technology
- Comforting talk-back, lullabies, and night light features
- A long range that can extend up to 330 meters
- Reliable performance
Pros and cons of the Philips Avent DECT SCD570/10 Baby Monitor
- High-quality audible voice
- Sensitive to the baby’s motions and sounds
- Comes with a temperature sensor
- It is available at a great price
- Does not have a mute button
In comparison with other similar baby monitors, the Philips Avent has more superior performance and more useful features. Its major selling point is its high-quality sound as well as a long range of coverage. This is a baby monitor that will not disappoint you.
Price: check here
The Angelcare Movement and Sound Monitor is an innovative device that provides parents plenty of features and benefits. It comes in an iconic wing and halo design and a number of useful features. It has a mattress sensor that triggers an audible alarm if the baby does not move within 20 seconds you can easily tell if the sensor is on or batteries low using an array of lights on the unit. Some of its key features include:
- An under the mattress movement sensor that sounds an alarm when no movement is detected for a period of 20 seconds
- Color digital display on an easy to read screen
- Comes with a rechargeable unit
- Fully portable and can be carried from one room to another
- Has a nursery night light and an out-of-range indicator
Pros and cons of the Angelcare Movement and Sound Monitor
- It can monitor sound and movement
- Monitors nursery temperature
- It has a wireless parent unit
- Has a good range
- It is easy to set up
- The unit is a bit complicated to set up
- The night light is not very bright
A baby monitor is designed to give you peace of mind and help to keep your baby safe at all times. This monitor is quite reliable and highly recommended.
Price: check here
Share with friends